Monday, August 6, 2012

Do What You Love

So I've been at this designing gig for a while now. Make that 9yrs. And it's not the easiest thing in the world to get spotted, I'm sure many of my fellow fashion designers can understand where I'm coming from. The fashion industry isn't as glamorous as the magazines make it out to be.

From the time I started sewing and decided this is what I want to do with my life, my father always tried to convince me otherwise. "Designing fashion isn't going to pay the bills". He'd always try to get me to get into engineering, or plastic manufacturing, chemistry...the boring non creative stuff that forces me to apply my brain juuust a little bit more than I'd like to! Besides, in all honesty, it doesn't interest me, one bit. All that scientificall stuffs just goes in one ear and right out the other, doesnt even reach the brain!

I was always more of a creative chick. All my sibblings do sports all throughout highschool, and major in a chemistry area or engineering feilds. It was never my thing. While all my sibbling played soccer after school, I was in the drama club room making costumes, or taking sewing lessons 3hrs a day after school. However! In my own defense! I did tryout out for the soccer team...buuut didnt make it sadly:( and from then on forward... It became undoubtibly obvious, I was meant for the more creative activites.

I've put in everything since what seems like forever into fashion designing. I remember thinking that being an "actress" was what I wanted to do with my life. And while it was fun while it lasted, something else just took ahold of my heart. People hear this and tell me I'm "crazyy". But to me, it was the best decission I've ever made in my life. Probably one of the only decissions I've made that I'm proud of. I mean, suuure, I miss goin into NYC everyday for auditions, I miss getting my call-backs and getting booked cuz I was suuuch a cuute lil girl;) And yeahh, the paychecks were saaaweeeet, but it just didnt spark my heart the way threading up my sewing machine would. At least I can say, I did do something with acting, it was an overall success for me, booked/filmed many commercials and got paid for doing it too! But it's nothing compared to my true love.

When you have a dream of making into a particularly difficult industry..and it's not just the fashion industry, it could be music, entertainment, sports.. its not always a straight, fast, easy path to get there. It can be discouraging at sometimes, even seem impossible. My best piece of advice:

Do what you love and don't give up on it.

Ive been doing what I love for 9 years and I havent' quit, stopped or given up. I'm telling you, sooner or later, your hard work, for something you LOVE, it will pay off.

Now, in fashion design, getting noticed is haaard. It can take years and years sometimes. However nowadays, networking makes this a tad bit simpler. I feel I've recently discovered this.

Im consider myself pretty computer savvy, but when it comes to social networking, that's where my knowledge starts depleating. Along with the lack of knowlege, I've also been very cautious bout social networking. My family is always telling me, as soon as i post a design, that someone will steal it. And quite frankly, it's discouraging. It's probably more of the reason as to why I wouldnt get into social networking my "business sorta thing".

I've finally abandonned this scared thinking. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead in life, even if that means taking a few risks along the way. Well heres my first risk!




My FIRST step, well I guess technically second considering this blog would be step #1, was to set up a instagram account.

@laglamorella



@laglamorella
 I AM IN LOOOOVE with instagram now! I'm so hooked, it's better than facebook by a long shot.
I ***Highly*** reccomend instagram to any fellow fashion designer in the making!

And while you're at itt... FOLLOW MEH @laglamorella on instagram!

(the only downside to the app is that it a phone app..and the computer standard website isn't quite out yet:/) but still! It's amazing, It's grrreat publicity!

now go check me out! ;*

XOXOXOXO,
LA Glamorella


No comments:

Post a Comment